|Amebic meningoencephalitis due to Naegleria fowleri|
(CBS News) The news that a Virginia boy 9 years old, recently died of a brain infection linked to a waterborne "brain-eating amoeba" is intended to raise concerns such as water- lovers find a way to cool off in the dog days of summer.
Autopsy results confirmed the cause of death as an inflammation of the brain and its lining. The victim's mother said the boy, Christian Alexander Strickland, had attended a fishing camp in several places the week before he died.
"It's important that people be aware of the messages ... swim safely," said Dr. Keri Hall, state epidemiologist in the Department of Health of Virginia, Richmond Times-Dispatch in a statement.
It is the second death in the last month on the same parasitic infection, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which confirmed that a Floridan 16 years old, Courtney Nash, died Saturday, shortly after swimming in the San Juan River.
read more: click here